Sunday, October 20, 2019

October 20, 2019 - 37 - "Go Susan go!"

     This is one of those stories I have to preface with:  "Stop me if I've told you this before..."  I wrote a post a few years ago about 'The Stories We Tell' about the stories we repeat over and over again.  

     This is one of those.  I just love it so much that I'd hate to think anyone's missed out on hearing it.  (Plus, obviously, I enjoy telling it.)

     So, this starts out as 'a friend of a friend of a friend' kind of story.  I flew with a flight attendant, who flew with a flight attendant, who was...a little bit crazy.  


     As it was told to me...

    This woman, we'll just call her Debbie, was working the beverage cart on a flight.  She asked a passenger what he wanted to drink and he said 'A Coke.'  


     So she proceeds to talk herself through the entire process of preparing said Coke.

     Out loud.  


     It went something like this:

          "Okay, he wants a Coke.  Alright, get a cup.  Okay, good.  Now put some ice in it.  Pour the Coke..."  She did this in a near-whisper to herself...but snippets were clear to the other flight attendant, as well as to the passengers around her.

          As if that weren't kookie enough...  Occasionally, when she felt she'd overcome a particularly challenging part of the Coke preparation process presumably, she would give herself a little verbal pat on the back by saying:

               
           "Go Debbie Go!"

      Out loud.


      The passengers kept looking at the other flight attendant like:  Is this really happening? 

---

     So, I guess I told this story to Michael one day when the kids were around to hear.  They were around 7 and 9 at the time.  

     I didn't even remember the story until one day, months later, I was running around the house doing stuff and walked in the den where the kids were watching TV. 

      I said to myself:  


          "What did I come in here for?"

      Out loud.  


     My stepson, Keenan, said in a low whisper:  "Go Susan Go!"

    

---

     (Baaaaahhaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!)

    Now they're 32 and 34 and to this day if I'm doing something crazy-ish they will say this to me.  


    Come to think of it, seems like they say this pretty regularly.  Huh.  That's weird.  

    Oh well.  (In a whisper:  Go Susan Go!)

---

"Writing is like talking to yourself, just in a way that makes it look like you're not crazy!"

-Mary Kate

---"Talking to yourself is okay.  Answering back is risky."

-Brian Spellman

---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog!
Please share your Daily Hits of Happy. After all... shared happiness is doubled.